Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Assessing How Children Learn Not What They Learn

AiFL is the buzz word in staff rooms and meetings where different methods of formative assessment are being implemented for the benfit of children to ensure that assessment is at the heart of learning. This is all fine but there is not point is assessing children if the method of teaching does not meet their learning styles. Over the past months I have put myself on the line to ask children to assess my teaching methods. Before I hear you ask, I have not gone down the line of 'rate my teacher'. The evaulations the children made were more reflections on how successful or unsuccessful they were due to the way that I taught. This gave insights in their different learning styles and how one style does not fit all. Over the next few days I am going to give a more indepth analyses of my study of learning stlyes mixed with current theories in the hope that someone will take onboard this 'how' rather than the 'why' as a starting point with children.

No comments: